Thursday 26 July 2012

Recipe #1 and #2 - Caramelised Onion Soup & Corn Fritters

First of all, I hate onions!


For some, odd, stupid reason for dinner I decided to make an entree and a main which both in combination had 7 onions in the recipes. Oh god. I've never cried so much.



For my first meal in the challenge I chose something off the beaten track - a soup. It's so unlike me because it was not the most visually appealing meal in the cookbook, but i'd never really experimented with home-made soup beyond the generic 'chicken and vegetable soup' that mum makes (which is great, by the way). The soup was caramelised onion and lentil soup (sounds like something a weird vegan or hippy would eat) but nonetheless, it was scrumptious. I mean, after all who doesn't love caramelised onions? To go with the soup I decided to make corn-fritters which were filed under the 'sides and entrees' section in the book. I decided to make corn- fritters solely because i've never made fritters before and I consider that to be a good enough reason!

Everything went smoothly, other then the crying. Overall, it is a bit of a messy process with all the pans and pots required - luckily I had helpers to clean up! I have to thank my mum for helping me shape the fritters into love hearts, poor brothers of mine.




2 comments:

  1. Love the Blog Harriet! Not sure I should follow it though... the cakes look tooo divine...

    Little hint... Onions in the fridge... no more crying! Can't wait to see what you cook next xxx

    ReplyDelete