Friday 10 August 2012

Food Funeral

I finally went a naturopath  to see what was wrong with me! I have been dealing with a sore/ swollen stomach for quite a while now so we decided to get it checked out. So, after the appointment with my lovely naturopath I was given a list of foods I must avoid for the next few weeks as a part of an 'elimination diet' along with a few blood tests. In short, foods I must avoid include: Milk, Ice cream, gluten/ wheat, sugar, alcohol, dried fruit, yeast and COFFEE. As a foodie I couldn't help but think "so.. what CAN I eat"!!?!  Luckily my naturopath sent me through some great food plans and recipes to get me into the groove. Ironically though, on the same day of my appointment I had been booked into the "French Experience" cooking class at James Street. So, I decided to make the most out of my 'last supper'.

I had the best time - there were great people there who were foodies just like me, and the food and recipes were beautiful! We had Wonton Lasagne of Prawn and Saffron for entree which I found to be amazing. Basically, we used boiled wonton sheets as a lasagne sheet and made a prawn mousse from cream, egg whites and blended prawns. On top was an amazing saffron sauce. For main we had Slow Cooked Duck with Braised Cabbage, Crisp Prosciutto and Roasted Hazelnut - we didn't have enough time to cook the duck obviously, but we had great fun making the cabbage, nuts and prosciutto. Cabbage is the perfect ingredient to compliment & contrast a richer tasting meat like duck. This cabbage was cooked in vinegar and was really tasty. For dessert (the meal I was in charge of) was Cardamon and Calvados Caramelised Apple in the most beautiful Sweet Crust Pastry! It was the easiest and tastiest dessert I have ever had and I will be making it again very soon. I really do recommend that everybody goes to a cooking class at some point in their lives, they are so fulfilling!

Here are some pictures that we plated and made ourselves:



No comments:

Post a Comment